What I always do find ever since I became a fan of this genre is all the people who point fingers at this genre as negative, satanic, and violent. Some people have for years with this genre despised it and hated for many reasons. Granted if this music isn't your thing then I agree you do not have to like it or listen to it. This doesn't mean to me you can make false accusations and blame the musicians for the behavior of others. What do I mean? For example over the years I encountered many metal artists who have been under negative press. Ozzy Osbourne has been accussed of causing a teen to commit suicide due to a song written called "suicide solution". The suicide victims family filed a lawsuit claiming that Ozzy was responsible for their son's death. I mean get for real did Ozzy come up and actually stab your son or gave him a gun to shot himself? The song isn't even about suicide. It was about a person with a drinking problem. Another band who dealed with a suicide lawsuit was Judas Priest. In connection to a song that they only covered. Not a song they themselves written. Then what was funny was the victims lawyer claimed "there was a subliminal message containing the words [DO IT!]. In reality I have listen to this song a bunch of times and there is a slight breathing noise in the music which could have easily been mistaken for that quote "do it!" but even if it was that what exactly do you have to prove it mean't suicide? Another example of the press feading negativity to this genre is when 3 boys raped and killed a girl and happen to be fans of Slayer. Though I do admit Slayer does have some violent lyrics but how does this cause 3 boys to kill and rape a girl? Luckily all these cases were either dismissed or the artists not found guilty. If these artists were found guilty then my question would be what happened to freedom of speech? To me the lyrics of a band regardless weather or not the content or good or violent/obscene, you can't hold them responsible for another individuals action. Are you going to sue the movie creater's of Friday the 13th (movie) for someone who decided to wear a mask like Jason and stab a realative of yours? My point is metal music lyrics are just like a horror movie, you can definetly turn it off at any time you wish. These people who have committed destrutive behavior are really no different then anybody else who is in jail for the same crimes. I think weather they liked the music or not they were disturbed people in 1 form or another.
No comments:
Post a Comment